Where do they live? Lynx
is a typical forest-dwelling animal. They prefer more silent and darker areas
of older coniferous and mixed forests with windfalls and deadwood, areas with
comparatively dense undergrowth or understory, or areas bordering on overgrown
forest clearings, burnt areas or swamps. Closeness of potable water is also a
criterion for the choice of habitat by lynx.
How do they live? Lynx are highly elusive animals and not everyone will
be able to see them in the wild. Lynx are predominantly solitary animals,
except for the breeding period, when they establish families (most frequently,
females with cubs). These large wild felids are monogamous - one male
predominantly mates with one female. Lynx like to regularly mark and thoroughly
guard their territory. If the “home fridge” is empty, they wander beyond to
search for food. Lynx are active at dusk and at night, while resting during the
What do they eat? Like ordinary domestic cats, lynx love meat. For
instance, roe deer, hares, foxes, galliform birds, smaller predator species,
squirrels, rodents, beavers. Although rarely, they can feed on carrion. If the
snow cover in winter is very deep, and prevents the lynx from finding smaller
prey, they may attack moose and red deer calves, as well as juvenile wild
Did you know?
Myths and truth Lynx never
attack anyone or hunt from a tree! Lynx is a sort of cat - have you ever seen
your cat jumping from a tree to catch a mouse?
- Eurasian lynx is the largest
and most widely distributed of the four lynx species occurring worldwide.
- Eurasian lynx is the third
largest predator species in Europe after the brown bear and the grey wolf.
- Eurasian lynx has six
- Lynx is the only felid species
- Lynx, like all other cats,
purr, hiss and growl - the only difference is the louder and lower sound.
- Lynx are solitary animals,
they are very cautious and elusive.
- Lynx have very sharp vision -
they can see their prey at the distance of 75 metres.
- Tufts on the ears tips of lynx
serve better detection of prey and its location.
- Lynx can jump almost 2 metres
- Lynx consumes approximately
two kilos of meat per day.
- If necessary, lynx are good
- Lynx are good (but rare) tree
- In winter, the rounded, soft
and wide paws of lynx are a perfect support that enables them to walk on deep
- Lynx is the national animal of
Romania and Serbia.
- Lynx is depicted on 5 the
Denari coin of Macedonia.
- In the Middle Ages the name of
lynx was frequently mentioned together with the Devil.
- Greek, Scandinavian myths and
myths of Northern American people attributed the capacity to see through
everything and reveal hidden truths to Lynx.
- Lynx has its own constellation
in the sky.
- The Latin name “lynx” has originated from Greek “λύγξ”, which means “light, brightness” –
with reference to the light-reflecting, luminescent eyes of the lynx.
There are two individuals of lynx residing at Līgatne Nature Trails